After a fresh installation of Debian 8 ‘Jessie’, edit the sources.list file with the recommended SourcesList and update your system. This will keep your system updated and protected with the official security updates, and Jessie-specific updates.
- Open terminal window and execute the following command to open the sources.list file with gedit:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- Select everything there is, and replace them with the following lines:
- These above lines will enable you to use packages from the ‘free‘ repository; that only contains the ‘free software’ components. If you want to use contrib and non-free packages also, i.e. for using WiFi, video graphics drivers, etc., use the following lines instead:
- Now Save the sources.list file and close it.
- Fire up the terminal again and execute the following commands one line after another to update and fully upgrade your software packages:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- This would be all.